Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Prepubescent Polen Posse update #3 - Chaplin

Chaplin, Chaplin, Chaplin......what a character, or should I say which character and when?  He is my boy that can entertain anyone....always has that little sparkle in eye...but that sparkle seems to be fluctuating between a sparkler and a missile.  

Over the past few years we have noticed he has an increasingly harder time focusing and also retaining emotional control in even certain minor situations.  It's not constant, but it is frequent.  I think there are many factors contributing to this, including:  he's a boy, he's 10, and he's the middle boy always striving for 'perfection' that he sees in his older brother.

That being said, our functioning level at home has been decreasing.  SO, we felt seeking help from a professional was a good step.  Before the first visit with the child psychologist, I tried my best to explain t Chaplin what this doctor does.  He just looked at me with his eyebrow raised and said, 'Seriously, Mom.  You're taking me to anger management?' (I couldn't help but laugh inside)

The doctor did a full evaluation on Chaplin, including psychological, learning, cognitive, etc.  It was 4.5 hours long for him plus a questionnaire for me that had about 500 questions on it!!!!  Chaplin did well, though.....The doctor gave out prizes, so he was happy.  :)  While we wait on those results, I continue to focus on the following verse in my mind when interacting with Chaplin.:

   A soft answer turns away wrath,
    but a harsh word stirs up anger.
                    Proverbs 15:1

It is SO easy to just yell at misbehavior that is so frustrating.  But that doesn't do anyone any good...it does harm...  I think I've been doing better.  We go back to the doctor for the evaluation results next week....stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment